Saturday, March 24, 2012

Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken


I love using rotisserie chicken. It is very flavorful and has so much meat, but at about $7.00 a piece, it's not always a practical option....until now!!! I made this one in my crockpot for $3.80! That's almost half the price! Plus- the meat is so versatile. This week I used it in Chicken and Borracho Bean Burritos, but I also  use it in pasta, as a main dish, in salads, tacos, etc.

I bought:
1 whole fryer chicken ($3.00)
1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth (wine; $.80) 

I had on hand:
Olive oil
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried rosemary
Cavendar's Greek Seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste 

 

1- Remove giblets from chicken and dispose. Rinse chicken and pat dry. 

2- Place chicken in crockpot and sprinkle well with salt, pepper and Cavendar's seasoning. Then drizzle with olive oil. 

3- Drizzle heated saute pan with olive oil.  Add garlic to pan and saute for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant. 
4- Add wine (or broth) to pan, along with all seasonings and stir. 

 

5- Pour wine mixture over chicken in crockpot. Cook over high heat for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours, turning chicken over periodically. I try to keep the breast side down for the majority of the time so that it gets the most moisture. COOK TIME WILL VARY ACCORDING TO SIZE OF CHICKEN.


6- Remove chicken from bone and serve as desired. I made chicken and borracho bean burritos.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an easy tasty recipe! Do you think it would be too bland if I didn't use the Cavendar's Greek Seasoning? (Never heard of or used that stuff before.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Cavendar's all the time... It's a general seasoning blend, so I would think you could use a different one in it's place...

    ReplyDelete