Thursday, July 23, 2009

Tomatillo Green Sauce

I am so excited to share this recipe with you! It is SO great!!! I have been wanting to post it for like a week, but couldn't until I made the sauce!!! It was inspired by my Aunt Maritza, who is from Mexico. She makes a green sauce, so I thought I would give it a try. It's a pretty special recipe and is very easy.



These are tomatillos. Do not be intimidated. The are like tomatoes (thus the name) and are not at all spicy. You can actually get them at most normal grocery stores...even Wal-Mart. You want to pick ones that are firm and have the husks closely attached. Give it a try!

Ingredients:
4 tomatillos
4 ripe avocados
1/4 c loosely packed FRESH cilantro
1/4 c chopped onions
2 tbsp minced garlic
pickled jalapenos (the kind in a jar) to taste...I use about 4 or 5 tbsp
juice from one lime
1-2 tsp ground white pepper (black is fine too, but I prefer white for this)
1 tsp cumin (the jar may also say comino)
1 c sour cream (I use low fat or no fat)
salt (this recipe uses a lot...maybe 2 tsp or more)

***You will need to adjust the seasonings after it is all mixed together. Add more salt, pepper, jalapenos...you know, make it your own!!

Directions: Take the husks off the tomatillos and wash them. Cut them up into a few pieces for the blender. Tomatillos don't have to be peeled. Next, peel the avocados and cut into a few pieces for the blender. All that you have to do is put the ingredients into the blender and puree until smooth!!! Keep chilled.




HOW TO EAT IT:
Awesome choice 1: eat it on chips and smile!

Awesome choice 2: I make shrimp tacos with this green sauce. I saute shrimp in the skillet with olive oil and Old Bay Seasoning. Then I put the shrimp and sauce in a soft flour tortilla. These are seriously awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment