Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Chicken Salad #3: Waldorf Style
Here's my twist on a classic Waldorf Chicken Salad.
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (leftovers work great)
* 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved
* 1 large apple, diced
* 1 cup diced celery
* 1 handful of dried cranberries
* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 1/2 cup honey mustard (dressing works great)
* 2 tbsp lemon juice
* 2 tbsp dijon mustard
* 2 tbsp yellow mustard
* Sprinkle of paprika
* Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place chicken, nuts, grapes, apples, celery and cranberries in large dish and mix.
2. Mix mayo and lemon juice until smooth.
3. Add mustards and mayo to chicken mixture and stir until combined. I like to add the mustards first and then add mayo, little by little, so that it doesn't get to be to heavy with the dressing.
4. Sprinkle in paprika and cayenne. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Chill for 30 min- 1 hr before serving. This lets the ingredients get to know each other for a while.
(One day I will learn to take decent pictures. Until then, I will continue to google. I found this great one on the Southern Living site.)