Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Chicken Salad #2
I love chicken salad, but sometimes you want to mix it up. Thanks to the culinary genius, Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa), we have the perfect alternative!! The extra bonus---it's packed with healthy veggies!! **I have tweaked it a bit**
* 2 whole (4 split) chicken breasts
* Good olive oil
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 cups broccoli florets
* about 3/4 cup good mayonnaise (I use low fat)
* 2 tablespoons dry white wine
* 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
* 3 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
* 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon leaves
* 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
Chop chicken into small bite size pieces. Saute chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper until cooked through.
Meanwhile, add the broccoli florets to a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook for 1 minute, until crisp tender, drain, and place into a bowl of ice water until cool. This will stop the cooking and set the bright green color.
For the dressing, whisk together the mayonnaise, wine, mustards, 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add enough sauce to the warm chicken to moisten well. Add the tarragon, broccoli, and tomatoes and mix gently to combine. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. ONLY ADD AS MUCH SAUCE AS YOU WANT. YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT ALL!!!